How many summer afternoons can I sit by the river?

How many summer afternoons 

can I sit by the river?

Every day the sun shines I will 

To remind me that

Every day I can look forward to going

Going with someone and passing the time

Someone who means the future

That we're not alone in the present

The past lingers, ebbs and flows

So put in that kayak, up to the falls

Near the waves of frothy foam

Cast the line again for a friend

Who needs a witness to prove it swam

Reel in one then throw it back

But keep a friend till the end

Till the eddy catches you drifting apart

Caught in the current further apart

Never to see each other's reflection

Drift past the bridge and dockside grilles

One kayaker moves on 

The other remains still

Waiting where the Beaver fills the Ohio

Without rod, reel, hook, line, or sinker

Like fishing in the morning fog 

Wish I knew what I'd catch


June 19, 2023

Comments

Popular Posts