Driftwood Mobile

 


The driftwood mobile from Haystack Rock

for the driftwood bar she boldly got

may never see the light of day

stay packed in a box

in my closet many miles away

I thought of mailing it to her overseas

but what would it do but remind her

like it reminds me

how we drifted apart

sprung leaks in our hearts

But I can't throw it away.

Such a bittersweet year ago,

when I couldn’t stay

little did I know

I wouldn't return to her by today

so scared of loneliness overseas

on the other side of love

stuck in a whirlpool eddy

as each wave on my shoreline crashed

getting lower tide for all I'd done

at least to keep my boat afloat

has saved my life

but not my Chinese style

that's why I still can breathe

but find it hard to smile


May 28, 2022

Comments

Popular Posts