Going Through the Motions

 

what am I doing? so unaware

nor do I know what brought me here 

like a private in God's army barracks 

I don't understand but follow commands

it's the right thing to do?

who says so? You?

what a pleasure it is to be with grandchildren

playing eating bonding with grandpa

volunteering 

automatic steering

a consolation price to carnal pleasures

done that, too, with love beyond measure

but to have a Zoom meeting with someone now 

I can take it or leave it somehow 

I'm supposed to go see a home painted green

the drive there will mostly prolong the scene

that's all it means

with no more dreams

pass the time without a pastime 

without passion

for the chance to mean something new

for the chance of meeting someone who

choosing the face and profile of a few 

but all it means after leaving a wife

is going through the motions for a new life

until something sticks and attaches me

There’s nothing wrong with relaxing

being here to assist my family 

a motivation that rings true

no reason for crying or dying

instead of reading a book or two

rub on the cracked skin lotion

as the winter world gets colder

and I keep getting older


November 20, 2021




Comments

Popular Posts